Morning Prayer 1st & 3rd Sundays
Holy Communion 2nd & 4th Sundays
SA71 5JY, Pembroke, Sir Benfro, Wales, United Kingdom
Site Description St Faith’s & St Tyfei’s Church is situated within a square churchyard. A possible Iron Age enclosure (NPRN 407852), comprising of a circular outer ditch surrounding a rectangular mound, lies some 450m north-northwest of the church and may be associated. The church is sited some 470m south-west of the medieval Bishop’s Palace (NPRN 22223). A D-shaped parchmark at the west end of the church is thought to represent a formerly apsidal west end. The only other known example in Wales is Capel Maelog in Powys, which has been dated to the first half f the 13th century. The site is almost certainly early medieval in origin, in existence by the late 11th century when the manor was an episcopal holding an appendent to the Manor of Lamphey. ‘Sanctuary land’ attached to the church was recorded in 1326.The manor was transferred to the Crown in the 16th century, but the patronage was retained by the Bishop of St Davids. There was at least one former chapelry in the parish. The church was a parish church during the post-Conquest period, belonging to the Deanery of Pembroke.
The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of limestone rubble. It consists of 3-bayed nave, 2-bayed chancel, north transept with skew passage over cellar, south transept, south porch, and 3-storeyed west tower. The oolite font, with square scalloped bowl with floral mouldings, cylindrical stem with a cable-moulding and square base, is thought to date from the 13th century. The nave, chancel and transepts are all thought to date to the 14th century. The chancel contains reused medieval lancets and piscina. The porch is thought to be 14th–15th century. The vaulting in the tower and porch is medieval. The tower is not typical of the region, lacking an external string-course and having only a slight external batter. The church was restored in 1826, when an additional 200 seatings were added. The church was again restored in the mid-19th century, when the church was partly rebuilt and a cellar inserted beneath the north transept. The church was again restored in 1870, when the roof was refenestrated, refloored and reseated. Notes by A.J. Parkinson refer to a nineteenth century inscription on metal plate above chancel arch. The tower's 4 bells date from 1874(3) and 1902(1). The alter fittings in the north transept are 20th century.
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic Churches Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 2003, Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer
N Vousden, 14 December 2017